Saturday, November 17, 2012

“Food is an important part of a balanced diet.” ~ F. Lebowitz



“What will you be able to eat?” That’s the most frequently asked question these days.  People are shocked when they hear me answer, “Anything I want.” Remember, I said most people don’t know much about weight loss surgery. One of the reasons I chose this specific surgical option, the gastric sleeve, was because I would not be as restricted in my diet as I would be with the other options. I didn’t want never to eat a piece of birthday cake again. I didn’t want to forego my mom’s fried chicken for the rest of my life - those of you who have had it understand why. I wanted to have the flexibility to make those choices myself. There will, however, be weeks, possibly months, of an adjusted diet while I prepare for surgery, heal afterward, and then re-introduce food into my new, smaller stomach. This adventure officially begins on December 5, two weeks before surgery but, as you know from reading about my visits to the dietitian, I have already been making dietary changes.

On December 5, I will begin a two week liquid diet in preparation for the surgery: 800 calories a day, consisting of protein shakes, sugar-free jello, and sugar-free popsicles. The goal of this is to stimulate rapid fat loss from the liver. The liver sits atop the stomach and, since the surgery is done laparoscopically, can get in the way during surgery if it’s too fat. Slimming it down just before the surgery insures that the surgeon can move it out of the way and see what he’s doing while he’s operating. Fortunately, the new medicine I have been taking as a migraine preventative also works as an appetite suppressant so I am not anticipating much difficulty with the liquid diet.

If all goes well, I should only be in the hospital overnight but, while I’m there, I will be given a clear liquid diet. This consists of one ounce of water, unsweetened apple or grape juice, sugar-free jello, or decaf tea each hour. If I tolerate that, then I will advance to two ounces per hour. Doesn’t sound like much but there will be substantial swelling in the stomach and that’s all it will be able to hold.

When I go home, I will remain on a liquid diet for one to two weeks but the choices increase to include milk, strained low-fat cream soups, protein shakes, and yummy-sounding shakes and smoothies for which I have been given recipes. The key is to cram as much protein into my tiny meals as possible. Eating and drinking will become my full-time job for a couple of weeks. I will eat a quarter cup of something from my list every two hours and, in between meals, drink at least a cup of fluid. Protein and hydration are the key.

The third phase is the puree diet. This sounds the least appetizing to me. While I can now start to include meats, cheeses, vegetables, and starches into my diet, they have to be the consistency of baby food. Blech. And, I can’t eat baby food because it typically doesn’t have the amount of protein I need. So, I am really dreading this part, especially since it coincides with my return to work. I can’t even talk about it…

Phase four is soft foods…foods that can be easily cut with a fork. I can do this. Also, I’ll be gradually increasing the size of my portions but protein consumption and hydration will always be key to my diet.

I should be back to a fairly regular diet one to two months after surgery. Eventually, I will be able to eat about one cup of food at each meal. So, several small meals throughout the day, caloric intake between 800 and 1200 calories, minimum of 60 grams of protein, and  6 to 8 cups of water daily. Sounds like what the doctors tell all of us to do for a normal, healthy diet, right? Well, maybe they tell us to eat a few more calories than that but people ask why can’t  I just follow that diet without having the surgery. Trust me. I’ve tried. I literally need to be unable to fit any more food into my stomach. Truly. You may not have ever seen me eat a dozen doughnuts but believe me when I tell you I have done it. More than once. I need to be physically unable to do that ever again. Surgery will make that happen. If I try to eat more than my tiny stomach can hold, it’s coming back out. Just the threat of that makes me want to avoid it.

I think of this surgery as my “do-over.” It’s my chance to get a new stomach and do eating and nutrition the way I know it’s supposed to be done. Monday begins the one month countdown…

1 comment:

  1. You are so empowering to me. Thank you Kristie. I <3 you.

    ReplyDelete