Tuesday, November 13, 2012

"I'd like to think the best of me was still hiding up in my sleeve." ~ J. Mayer



So it’s been a minute since my last blog. I’ve been busy. It’s hard to believe that it is November. Surgery is just a little more than a month away. Wow. For so long, it seemed so far away and now I need to start getting my “ducks in a row.” December 19 will be here before you know it. Now that most of you have wrapped your head around the idea that I’m really going to do this, I have been getting questions about the type of surgery I have chosen, the Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy. I’ll admit – I didn’t know anything about it before I began this process but, ultimately, it is the choice that makes the most sense for my weight loss goals.

The Clinic basically offers four types of weight loss surgery: the Roux-En-Y Gastric Bypass, the Lap-Band, the Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy, and Gastric Plication. The Roux-En-Y is the traditional gastric bypass and I knew I didn’t want that surgery because it is the most restrictive. Additionally, it is a more complicated surgery and requires a longer recovery time. I also did not want the Lap-Band. I didn’t like the idea of having a “foreign body” inserted into me and the follow-up necessary to maintain it. It came down to the sleeve and plication. They are very similar procedures, although the sleeve has been performed for a longer period of time. The plication is a relatively new procedure. Ultimately, I learned that my insurance would not cover gastric plication so my decision was made.

The vertical sleeve gastrectomy is a laparoscopic procedure in which the size of the stomach is reduced. Your stomach is normally the shape of the sideways view of a man's big old beer belly. This surgery cuts off the 'beer belly' section leaving just a banana-shaped stomach, or sleeve, in its place. In this process, the section of the stomach that produces ghrelin, the hormone responsible for causing you to feel starved when dieting (and certainly not starving), is also cut off. The new stomach is about 75% smaller than the old stomach. This video shows an animation of the surgery…


Patients who have this surgery can expect to lose 50-70% of their excess body weight so it is not intended to be a surgery for people who are morbidly obese. I am about 100 pounds overweight. If I could lose 50 to 70 pounds, AND KEEP IT OFF, I’d be a happy camper. The surgery is a tool, not a cure-all. The better you use the tool, the better results you will have. So, the surgery combined with healthy eating plus exercise can result in even greater weight loss which is ultimately what I am hoping for. I don’t have a set “goal weight.”  I’ll know it when I get there J

And, yes, I do plan to share all of my weight numbers with you…I’m working up to that. I’ve not willingly revealed my true weight to anyone in a very long time so that may have to wait until the very last post before the surgery, or maybe even the very first one after. I’ll get there. This is all about full-disclosure.

No comments:

Post a Comment