Friday, December 7, 2012

"Shake it up." ~ R. Ocasek

Several people have contacted me to ask about the protein shakes I am drinking during the liquid diet. They are not anything special, meaning I didn't get them from the doctor or with a prescription or anything. They are the same shakes I have been drinking for breakfast for several months. The dietitian gave me criteria that I needed to follow for choosing a protein drink and she also gave me a list of suggested drinks to try. The rules are that they should have less than 200 calories, less than 30 grams of carbs, and at least 15 grams of protein. I have two that I like best: Atkins Advantage (11 oz.) and EAS AdvantEdge (11 oz.). Others on her list were:

Slim Fast Low Carb Diet (11 oz.)
Glucerna (8 oz.)
Nestle Carnation Instant Breakfast No Sugar Added (1 packet w/ 1 cup of Skim Milk)
Isopure Zero Carb (20 oz.)
Optisource High Protein Drink (8 oz.)
Boost Glucose Control (8 oz.)
Pro Performance 100% Whey Protein (1 scoop)
Designer Whey Protein Powder (1 scoop)

In addition to the two I mentioned that I like, I also tried (and liked) the Slim Fast drink but it tends to be slightly more expensive. I have been able to find all three at my local grocery stores and department stores. Luckily, I can also usually find the Atkins and EAS shakes at Sam's Club where I can buy 12 or 24 packs, instead of the small 4 or 8 packs they sell at the other stores.

The shakes, however, are not why I am not hungry. And, I'm not physically hungry at all. For several months, I have been taking a drug called Topamax as a migraine preventive. Topamax is also used to treat epilepsy, seizure disorders,  neuropathy, and OBESITY. The medicine acts as an appetite suppressant. It also makes some foods and/or drinks taste funny. For example, anything carbonated tastes flat, which has been very helpful since I had to stop drinking pop. I would never advocate for taking unnecessary medication but, if you have been struggling with weight loss, you may want to discuss Topamax with your doctor. I am amazed at how effective it is as an appetite suppressant.

12 more sleeps...

2 comments:

  1. It looks like I'm off to Sam's Club on Sunday! Thank you for sharing your experience step by step with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Topamax is helpful for many at first as an appetite suppressant, but for many that side effect wears off within the first 6 months or so. I take it as well.

    ReplyDelete