Wednesday, December 5, 2012

"You were always on my mind." ~ W. Nelson*



It is amazing how often throughout the day that I think about food. Last night I was watching TV and a commercial came on for Burger King, celebrating the 55th anniversary of the Whopper. If you buy any Whopper, between December 6 and 9, you get an Original Whopper for 55 cents. I made a mental note and then scratched that mental note because I was starting my liquid diet today.

As soon as I got to work this morning, I busied myself with ridding my office of snacks. I gave away my chocolate pudding cups and my applesauce. I gave my colleague a can of soup, a sleeve of saltines, and a Reese’s Cup. I stowed my protein shakes and sugar free jello in the fridge and got to work and, although I wasn’t hungry, I thought about food all day.

On the drive home, I pass a lot of food establishments, one of them being a Zeppe’s Pizzeria. I have never, ever eaten at a Zeppe’s Pizzeria. Today, as I drove by, I thought, “I’ll have to try that place.” TODAY, of all days. Really? Sure. I’ll just put a trip to Zeppe’s on my calendar for, let’s say…April, 2013. Good grief.

I do find it very funny that food is ever present in my thoughts although I am not hungry in the least. I have had three chocolate protein shakes today, so far, and a cup of sugar free raspberry jello, along with water and decaf iced tea sweetened with artificial sweetener. I will have another protein shake this evening and, if I like, some more jello or sugar free popsicles – AS MANY AS I LIKE. Jealous?

Two weeks from today I will be recovering in my hospital room and hopefully planning to go home the next day. I hope every day until then continues to be as easy as today.

*disclaimer: The title of this post is a lyric from the song "Always on My Mind". Willie Nelson is not the songwriter, nor is he the original artist but, in my mind and opinion, his version is the most famous (and my favorite) and I chose to attribute the quote to him. The accurate information about the song can be found here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Always_on_My_Mind

No comments:

Post a Comment