Monday, December 3, 2012

"Planning is everything." ~ D. Eisenhower



After many months of planning for and thinking about surgery, things are starting to happen and this is getting real. Last week, the scheduler from the Cleveland Clinic called to let me know that my SEVEN pre-op appointments had been scheduled: a half day on December 13 and another half day on December 17. I am scheduled to have blood drawn in the lab, do something on the Healthquest computer program, meet with the nurse, meet with the surgeon, meet with another doctor who works with the surgeon, meet with the anesthesiologist, and then meet with admitting. My post-op appointments have also been scheduled through March, 2013. Additionally, I have already completed the pre-registration for my hospital admission online. Whew.

This Wednesday I begin the pre-surgery liquid diet. I am actually excited for this. I have been slowly saying my farewells to food over the last week or so. It’ll be about 2 months before I can eat regular solid food again and then I will have to reintroduce foods into my diet slowly and my eating style will change dramatically. So, as I type this, I am eating chocolate covered pretzels :) See ya later chocolate covered pretzels. My dear friend Mary Anderson asked me to go to dinner tomorrow – my Last Supper - and told me to choose where I would like to go. I chose Red Lobster. Several members of the high school Guidance Department will join us and I plan to say my farewells to crab legs and cheddar biscuits.

My friend David had his surgery last Tuesday. He went home on Friday and is doing very well. The texts I received from him while he was on pain meds were hilarious! More importantly though, I have been able to ask him all sorts of questions. He had some pain the first few days but is now up and walking around. He weighed himself for the first time today and he has lost 18 pounds…since last Tuesday…damn… I am so proud of him and I am glad we took this journey together.

So, now I’m working on getting all of my ducks in a row. My parents will arrive shortly before the day of surgery (they live out of state, in case you didn’t know). My nieces, ages 19 and 21, are preparing to provide dog sitting services while I’m in the hospital and post-op care when I come home. I am making my shopping list so the kitchen is stocked with the appropriate foods for my post-op liquid diet. And, in the unlikely case of complications with the surgery, I am, this week, preparing paperwork naming my sister, a nurse, as my health care power of attorney. Should I become incapable of making medical decisions for myself, she will make them on my behalf. I don’t foresee this happening but it’s the responsible thing to do.

Just because people continue to ask…Yes, I’m still sure I want to do this. No, I’m not scared. Sure, you can have my clothes when they don’t fit anymore ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment